Contractors play a critical role in the delivery of sustainable buildings and homes, yet there are few if any professional training courses designed to help them deliver projects against demanding UK standards and codes. A new course from BRE – Site Sustainability Manager – aims to change all that……
BRE’s new training scheme is designed to equip site managers with the knowledge needed to deliver the most sustainable developments and meet the demands of BREEAM and the Code for Sustainable Homes. For all BREEAM projects the involvement of a qualified Site Sustainability Manager will provide the opportunity to earn a BREEAM credit under the 2011 version of the new construction scheme.
‘The involvement of a qualified Site Sustainability Manager will help translate the BREEAM-related design effectively through the construction phase and reduce the risk of non-compliance for a range of site and building related assessment issues.’
Content of the course includes:
- Delivering against the design specification: how to achieve airtightness, avoidance of thermal bridges, material interfaces and good construction practices
- Standards compliance: understanding the mechanics and compliance routes for environmental certification schemes like BREEAM and the Code for Sustainable Homes
- Site Operations: understanding how to minimise the environmental impacts of the site which will help it run more economically and effectively
- Guidance on the many new and innovative materials available such as high performance insulation, renewable energy options, airtightness products, and waste reduction tools
- Improved communication techniques: learn about effective communication channels and techniques to ensure that the environmental messages are filtered down and understood by the whole team
- The course will conclude with a short examination
- Successful candidates will be able to register as a BRE Site Sustainability Manager and join our SSM Scheme. Members will be expected to maintain their competence and demonstrate through audit that they have achieved environmental targets on site and communicated these through the whole team.
The first two day course is on 24-25 September.
Cost of the 2 day course: £495
Location: BRE Watford
(Other planned dates at locations across theUK)